Meet the Artist: Alberto Romero Navarro


Alberto Romero
One of the young performers getting great reviews in our ¡Viva la Revolución! show is Alberto Romero Navarro. A native of beautiful Michoacan, Mexico, and an Oregonian at heart, 23-yea- old Romero Navarro has spent half his life here in the Portland area. His performance as Carmelo Delgadillo del Campo is engaging, as Carol Wells wrote in The Oregonian. The presence of Romero Navarro as the sweet, resolute, driven and hardworking Carmelo  takes over the stage. If you are a regular Miracle patron you might also recognize Romero Navarro from previous Miracle shows including Entre Villa y una mujer desnuda as well as an appearance in the pastorela of last year's Posada Milagro. We caught Alberto between shows to give you this Miracle Insider exclusive!

Alberto with Amber Mitchell
Susy: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Alberto: I am originally from Michoacan, Mexico. I have lots of dreams and goals. I have always been drawn to acting, since I was a little boy. I remember dreaming of being on stage and on television.

What role does the art of acting play in your life?
Acting for me is a passion. I love to be on stage, to give life to a new character, to transform myself and through it convey a message to the audience. I love theatre, it allows me to learn and to share with other actors. This is really important to me, the sharing experience between actors and the audience.

Alberto with Amber Mitchell and Nelda Reyes
What has been your experience on ¡Viva la Revolución!?
At the beginning it was a bit challenging because we created the story as a cast with the director. I learned so much in the process, from other actors, from our collaboration. In the end it was this collaboration that helped us develop the story line and the show you now see when you come to ¡Viva la Revolución!

What stands out about your character, Carmelo Delgadillo del Campo?
I love that he is humble, that he enjoys learning, but also to have fun in his daily life. I enjoy playing him because I also feel he is not too different form who I am, from how many people are, driven, hard-working, ready to take on the world with a positive attitude.

Alberto Romero
What other projects are you working on outside of the Miracle?
I have a radio show online twice a week, Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I am also working on a made-for-the-Internet show, as well as a production with Oregon’s Children’s Theatre. All of these different projects are helping me gain the tools necessary to continue to develop my acting skills. In the end that is my goal, to become a better and better actor.


Interview by Susy Chávez; production photos by Russell Young

No comments:

Post a Comment